"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Tuesday 9 October 2018

Postcards From Pamucutan: Raisie’s Tips For Writing Postcards (The Virtual Ones At Least)



Before I share with you how I write my postcards, let me first explain to you how I send them.

It started with my friend A who proposed that we keep in touch through old-fashioned pen and paper. I willingly agreed being the pen and paper junkie that I am. But we feared that our letters would take weeks to arrive through the Post Office and utilizing other express couriers would hurt the budget. And so we maintained writing letters mostly about catching up and sent them through scanning the letters and uploading them through FB messenger.

For the first couple of letters, I wrote on good, old-fashioned stationery and envelope. I also used Project Life cards once. But I thought of designing my own postcards and printing them out and have used them ever since- at least for A because I still write J the usual letters. These postcards I’ve sent over I collectively called Postcards From Pamucutan. I’m compiling them for when until A pays a visit back home.

I was doing a bit of research before writing this post and I found Charles Simic’s post on The Lost Art of Postcard Writing. I’d really like for you to read it and I promise there’s an interesting sample there.

So now that’s out of the way, I have a few tips to share with you.


1. Choose a postcard with a design full of character 

We all know the regular touristy-postcards which is common here in the Philippines but believe me, the unique designs are the ones that can make your recipient react unexpectedly. These are the more memorable ones too. 

2. Write on scratch paper/ start a draft

Begin a draft on scratch paper. If your penmanship is small or if you are comfortable with a .3mm pen, you can write long sentences or until three paragraphs of two sentences each. If you have big-spaced penmanship, you can adjust your message when you transfer it on your postcard. Also keep it neat and clean! 

3. On the writing style 

This is what makes your postcard quite unique, and it’s your personal message to the recipient. The most basic ones are of course, the weather, what you did, etc. But if there’s one piece of advice I can share with you, it’s going to be write the way you speak. There are times when I can hear my friends from their letters and it makes me miss them so much more. So this is your chance to pop, let your writing style speak! 


4. Don't forget the address 

Even if I’m sending my postcard virtually, I still like to see my postcard filled up and complete (even if it means I made the address up LOL) such as calling A’s apartment Hitler’s Tower. But if you’re sending them by post, make sure the address is complete.

 5. As for stamps

I have to admit that I’ve eliminated this portion because I send my postcards to A virtually. But I still like to try to send him a postcard just to see how long it will take, and for him to keep the postcard and the stamp. But because I am a person obsessed with all the writing accessories and stationery, I am now looking for washi and sticker flakes with stamps especially the vintage designs. 

Here’s a hint, if you can’t find whimsical and quirky postcards, you can design your own and print them out yourself. I might introduce the tools I have to you if you’re interested. 

My friends and I have started combining the analogue method of writing to each other in lieu of the instant-messenger chats and this is how we make the old-school and the modern meet.


Do you have any tips on writing postcards you’d like to share? Don’t be shy and leave me a comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment