"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Tuesday 29 August 2017

A Writing Icon: The Fountain Pen



“I was thinking of getting you a fountain pen for a wedding present, but then I realized you already had one.”

That’s the scene in The Sound of Music with the very regal and fabulous Baroness Schraeder played by Eleanor Parker that reminds me of why the fountain pen is an icon.

It’s rare to spot a fountain pen in one’s desks these modern days, but it continues to be an icon of a writing instrument among those old-school pen and paper writers.

A close friend of mine still writes handwritten letters with a fountain pen on parchment paper in the age of computers and Facebook messenger.

A fountain pen comes in many different varieties such as capped or retractrable, fine or thick nibs, pocket-sized or the regular length. Basically and by definition, a fountain pen is a writing instrument with a reservoir or cartridge from which the ink flows continuously to the nib.



The list of masters who use the fountain pen in writing their works are Neil Gaiman, Simone de Beavoir, Stephen King, Dylan Thomas and Claire Messud.

Never have I expected to actually own a fountain pen because the ones I usually see are the posh ones which must cost a small fortune already. But thanks to my crazy friends A and M, I have a simple but meaningful fountain pen with my name engraved on it. It came as a surprise and these are the times when I feel so grateful to have thoughtful friends who know me so well.




I’ve used the pen mostly for signing cheques and policies as well as bank transactions. I received a box of refill cartridges with it and I’ve already consumed half of the cartridges. I like the cartridge system to minimize having to frequently dip into ink and also avoid any mess I might cause because honestly, my desk is far from very neat. Though I’m anticipating that I have to look for replacements pretty soon because I live and work far from town and the local and only bookstore might not carry it here LOL. Let’s just say fountain pens are not very popular in this city and only a handful of people actually use it.

But they do make very beautiful and thoughtful Christmas (or even wedding) gifts. 

So what do you think of the fountain pen? Would you consider acquiring one or are you going to stick to a good sign pen for your signature? Share your thoughts with me by leaving me a comment. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment