"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Raisie Speaks: Why Beauty Companies Should Protect Customer Relationships





Being a blogger and social media stalker, I like visiting Facebook pages and looking at various activities from different companies and brands. Naturally, as a person, if there are contests being held, I have the tendency to join in contests and giveaways in the hopes of trying out new products that I otherwise cannot afford to purchase because like most people, I am on a budget. 

For the month of August, I participated in two contests both held by beauty companies in Facebook and won. But the difference is that Company A gave no response to the inquiries and options I suggested in claiming my prizes. I even went as far as messaging their Facebook page account, and also their company email explaining that I could not claim the prize in their head office because I am from the province. This was disappointing since a friend of mine also won and both of us were willing to shoulder the shipping expense.  Still, after a week of waiting, nothing. There was no reply to my two messages in FB, and still no reply to the email I sent to their site and company email. 

On the other hand, Company B was truly accommodating. I even had a late night chat with the Facebook representative and received specific instructions on how I could claim my prize which will be coming all the way from their head office to a branch nearest me. Now with this positive handling of Company B, it made me feel that this is a company that will be greatly patronized by me in the long-term not just because of their products or their marketing gimmicks but because they respond to inquiries and make it a point to arrive at solutions to make things better for the customer.


 
It was quite sad at how Company A handled concerns because I am a regular user of their products. At least I had an outlet to share my thoughts-which is here in Raisie Speaks. But I am not a solo winner who helped spread the word about the goodness of their company, there are still so many more out there who were dismayed. Sure, it is just a few products but I was looking forward to trying them out and helping talk about the effects and benefits on someone who had the same skin type as me. But I believe that not responding to my inquiry was a choice and I think that they have the option to reach out to their customers in the same manner as how they promoted their activities and gimmicks online. This made me think now that I am not the only disappointed person expressing grievances, there were still so many more. So I think it really cannot be helped. I also understand that social media presence is a way for their brand to be established and it supports their marketing, but will beauty companies be receiving positive marketing and feedback if they neglected not just one or two customers but a hundred?

On the other hand, they are missing out on a positive relationship that could have blossomed between them and a loyal customer because word of mouth and other feedback is bound to spread. But then again, it is a choice. 

Onto the other side of the coin, Company B took careful note of their customers’ profiles and even asked questions as to providing feedback for their products and services. Now this is an example of satisfactory customer service. I feel that I can trust this company and do more business with them in the long term.
Building relationships should be a priority among beauty companies because it:

  • Is a reflection of their brand
  • Gives a sense of trust to the customers
  • Can lead to long-term business between both parties
  •  Can develop into promotions of other forms

I am sure there are others out there who feel the same way. But I have already learned to deal with it though. I am moving on. 

By the way, Company B’s real brand name is HBC. =) 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Rai! I share your sentiments with Company A. Me and my cousin-in-law both won in their Facebook contest. And like you, I am also using some of their products due to my sensitive. It's really sad that none of the suggestions were considered. They never replied to their FB fans. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hala Miss Nela you were able pala to identify the company I was talking about... Nakakahinayang nga eh, we were the ones already giving suggestions and options and yet nothing happened. =(

      Delete
  2. If Company A is the one I'm thinking about, then I also won their Facebook giveaway. I'm very sorry that they told you that you couldn't claim your prize, but in all fairness, the mechanics clearly stated that the contest was open to participants living in Metro Manila.

    However, I agree with you about HBC. They are very friendly and their prizes are easy to claim because you can get them from the HBC branch nearest you! No more commuting to far away places :D

    ReplyDelete