"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Sunday 27 May 2012

This Ambition Would Work Only If...

I'm letting you in on one of my crazy childish ambitions.

I had this crazy childhood dream about being a proud owner of a bookstore. Nothing big, just a cozy bookstore, the ones where it occupies a country living room, or the old, quaint ones like in Notting Hill (1999) called the Travel Bookshop where Julia Roberts steps in to meet Hugh Grant, or the little book nook like in Before Sunset (2004) where Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke meet again.


The Travel Bookshop in Notting Hill, London


Yeah, this is similar to what I had in mind 


Shakespeare and Company in Paris


Inside Shakespeare and Company, curious which titles they carry

And my book shop would have tons of books on the floor, postcards and crazy bookmarks and all sorts of shenanigans, even outdated newspapers if it made any history at all. 




The bookshop of my dreams just might, just might have a flying bike somewhere


And as poor bookshop owner, I was willing to give up comfortable living just to be able to sell some more books and read books

You see, all was going well and fine, for me to have the bookshop of my dreams. As I've said, it's a childhood dream. All was going good, and I even had ambitions of more ladders leaning against more bookshelves reaching the ceilings to store some books, or even a cottage just to house some books, so yeah, you get the idea.

I repeat, all was going well and fine until those expensive e-book readers came along and made owning a library portable. I can't blame them. E-books help save the environment by saving the sheets of paper to be used and printed upon. And saves ink too. So you see my problem? I can't compete with being a book shop owner (even if it still all remains an ambition), when more and more people gravitate towards e-books these days which is even lighter compared to a hardbound book.


Do what you want with your e-book reader


And take it anywhere you want, read anywhere you want

But I feel defeated, armed with my childhood dream and fear for the future where everything these days is better on screen, I might be lucky to be able to sell novels for Php2 each as paperweights.

So yeah, I need another ambition. I thought of bookmark crafter, but who would even buy bookmarks from me thirty or forty years from now? Boohoo!





On second thought, I feel like being a book shop owner would put me out of business anyway since I would be hesitant to part from books acquired.

See what it takes to kill a childhood dream?


Got a better childhood ambition? Share them with me! =)

6 comments:

  1. Cutie bookmarks! And ooooh never had that dream pero seems cool to own a bookstore =))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe inspired by my crazy thoughts lang siguro when I was still a kid. Hahaha. I'm making some more bookmarks to prepare for a surprise for all you siblings in my blogosphere... =)

      Delete
  2. beautiful book stores there. let me do the interior design! and lets put an art corner somewhere there..would love to tambay in your future bookstore :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamang-tama talaga Ced the art corner then free flowing cappuccino for visitors and book lovers. Kahit sa pangarap lumalabas ang pagka artist mo! =D

      Delete
  3. "On second thought, I feel like being a book shop owner would put me out of business anyway since I would be hesitant to part from books acquired." -made me lol! Hahaha

    My mommy wanted a bookstore too. Tapos have coffee shop inside/beside it. Tapos as a child I would draw it and design it for her haha
    My personal childhood dream was to make an animal foundation thingy in Africa. My friends and I would hold weekly meetings to watch Discovery Channel and Nat Geo to learn more about them. That's way too ambitious now that I think of it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anj your comment really mirrors your desire to help animals,even influencing some of your friends and that's very thoughtful of you to design a bookstore for your Mom! =)

      Delete