"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Thursday 12 January 2012

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy


Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends is a memorable read, set in a charming Irish town and adorable characters. 

I don't remember what year it was, but because classes were done and it was summer, it was probably the only book I could get my hands on. An old lady book.

So, who would have thought I could still remember the plot and some events even after a few years, when I am now in my twenties and I read this when I was in my teens? Maybe it's because the story and characters reflect some of my perspectives in a way.


Simple country life, that's what I first thought, but the values and struggles each character faces every day mirrors our own, and here we stand in the small Irish town, looking childhood friendships, to parent-bonds shared by mothers and daughters, even between an orphan and nun. We discover humility and forgiveness, and hope. One of the memorable summer reads, I must say.


Maeve Binchy

No comments:

Post a Comment