"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
-Unknown

Sunday 4 December 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The Book

It started as one of those writing jobs I do for my freelance work on the side. I complete book guides for a company where I choose titles from a list and submit the outputs every month.

And the title caught my attention. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. At first I thought this was an Asian writer, and I have high regards for Amy Tan and Haruki Murakami. But here I was, about to discover Stieg Larsson. Years ago, I had plans of obtaining a dragon tattoo and some circumstances probably prevented me from doing so. I was born in the year of the golden dragon, according to Chinese astrology. Family and friends around me thought that this was a good sign since the dragon brings good luck.

And reading this particular book tickled my imagination. So I bought a hardbound copy, signed my name on the page and finally have the luxury or reading my very own copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

And I took it to reading as soon as it arrived. Could not wait any second longer, I literally waited for the delivery man from the courier outside our house that Friday afternoon for my weekend reading.

The book was translated from the Swedish by Reg Keeland.


My very own hardbound copy at bargain price of Php 250 (approximately $5)

The Style 

Details and character sketches are paid enough detail in this novel. Desert Snow is carefully and reasonably explained. "Carl" Blomkvist is given an honest description, enough to show that he is human with the unusual pet peeves, coupled with an on and off relationship with Erika Berger and considers himself her "occasional lover".  So does Armansky whose observations about Lisbeth Salander provide an honest character sketch. Stieg Larsson has this gift of being "in the character", immersing in how each one thinks and acts.

Just when you think the description and enumeration of events show the plot, dialogues between characters provide the story underneath. Larsson captures nuances between professionals in the journalism, financial and security field.- Larsson has done his homework.

When the reader assumes he understands the full story, the underlying events are uncovered-and the plot takes on a new development, and becomes more interesting. This is espionage, romance and power in a very different angle and on a whole new level.

-first spotted on an online bookstore, dreamt about, lusted after, and now is absolutely mine.-

The Setting

Contemporary Sweden has defeated capitalism in its industries and have successfully promoted democratic practices in its ranks- or that's what its leaders think.

The book's setting is as relevant today, as when it was first released and published in 2004. Women are still in a position fighting for equality, even for their rights in most aspects of society. If there were a Vanger Family in Sweden today, they would be an interesting lot to observe. 

The Author



The man behind Lisbeth Salander, Stieg Larsson 

Stieg Larsson lived in Sweden and was the editor in chief of the magazine Expo and a leading expert on antidemocratic right-wing extremist and Nazi organizations. He died in 2004, shortly after delivering the manuscript for this and two subsequent novels. He passed away at the age of 50. 

Other Books by Stieg Larsson

The Millennium Trilogy include: 

  1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  2. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
  3. The Girl who Played with Fire






No comments:

Post a Comment